Here are some tips for my clients, you may want to consider some or all of the following options, depending on your destination and length of stay.
- Ensure your immune system is healthy, visit a professional Homeopathy and get treatment, don’t leave it to the last minute, then you can fight off illness more easily while travelling; Good Health is the Best Preventative to any illness.
Take Echinacea as a tincture or herbal remedy 3 weeks before travel and then 10 days on and 10 days off during your time away from home to boost immunity. (available at Health Food stores).
- Consider taking pro-biotics for 2-3 weeks before travel, in order to develop a healthy gut (especially if you have taken antibiotics in the previous year).
Ask you GP about your fitness to travel if you are in any doubt.
It’s useful to know your blood group in case of emergency.
Find out as much as you can regarding the recommended vaccines and alternatives; immunisation is only part of the health advice for travellers, the disease risk for individual travellers needs to be assessed when determining the need for vaccines or homeopathic prophylaxis.
Many health issues facing travellers are not vaccine preventable eg. Food and water hygiene, safe sex and protection against insects are also important.
Increase water intake during flight and try to avoid dehydrating foods such as alcohol, coffee and crisps.
Business travellers and people staying in hygienic air-conditioned premises or first class hotels do not run the same risks as those travelling to rural areas where the potential for infection is greater and there are fewer facilities for medical treatment.
Support and strengthen your liver during travel with Milk Thistle herbal tincture or Chelidonium tincture. Many of the disease you may encounter eg. Hepatitis, Typhoid, Yellow Fever) affect the liver. Avoid paracetamol as a pain killer as it generally weakens the liver.
Jetlag can be minimized by adjusting sleep and wake times 1 to 2 days before departure so that you are in a similar time zone to that of the destination.
- Aconite 30c or Arg Nit 30c are good homeopathic remedies to take before travel if you have a fear of flying.
- Take Cocculus 30c for travel sickness or Tabacum 30c for sea sickness.
- Travel Essence (Australian Bush Flower Remedy), can be used during and after air/sea travel to help counter jet lag, exhaustion, sickness, earache and body clock disturbances. Take 7 drops under the tongue or dilute in water and sip every 2 hours on the journey.
- To minimise the risk from DVT (Deep vein thrombosis) on a long flight, take one dose of Bothrops 30c before travel and ensure you keep moving throughout the flight as much as possible. Elastic stockings can also help, as will increasing your water intake and avoiding alcohol. For increased risks of DVT if in doubt speak with your GP.
- Emergency Essence (Australian Bush Flower Remedy) or Rescue Remedy (Bach flower remedy) can be used to treat shock, fear, panic (7 drops on tongue or in water and sip).
- Health insurance is recommended for travel to any part of the world.
- Sterile wound dressings, gauze and bandages.
- HyperCal®tincture – an antiseptic and wound healer, dilute a few drops in cooled boiled water to bathe a sore, also excellent mouthwash for sore mouths or sore throats.
- Rehydration tablets to treat diarrhoea and loss of body fluids.
- Homeopathic First Aid or Travellers kits are available, ask me for information.
- Tea Tree oil is a good antiseptic for cuts and sores, also for fungal infections to the skin, it can be applied neat.
- Pyrethrum spray – first aid treatment for insect bites and stings.
TRAVELLERS STOMACH UPSET
Avoid ice in drinks.
Drink plenty of reliable water, increase water intake during hot weather.
Eating freshly prepared foods heated to steaming temperatures. Tips : avoid salads, eating only those fruits and vegetables that can be peeled or shelled, avoiding food from street vendors, washing hands frequently, avoid all foods likely to have been exposed to flies.
Avoid unpasteurised milk products, mayonnaise or ice cream in poorer 3rd world countries.
Avoid sugary food as they decrease the function of the immune system.
Avoid foods likely to have been exposed to flies.
Avoid food sold at roadsides, stalls/vans etc.
In most cases travellers stomach upsets subsides by itself and requires only the steady intake of fluids to prevent dehydration. Drinking plenty of clean water and eating more clean fruit and vegetables will help.
- Pro-biotics Start taking 1 week prior to travel, or 3-4 weeks before if your immune system is low in order to build up a healthy digestive system. Take for the duration of the holiday and continue for at least a month after returning. Probiotics are available to purchase from me!
- Include plenty of garlic in your diet to protect against intestinal parasites.
- Calm the digestive tract with ginger root, ginger tea or suck crystallised ginger.
- Treat diarrhoea to prevent dehydration and make a rehydration mixture by dissolving ½ teaspoon of salt and 8 teaspoons of sugar in 1 litre of bottled or boiled water, sip frequently in order to replace lost salts in the sweat and stools.
- Aloe Vera gel is great for sunburn, try to get 95% strength.
- Sol is a good homeopathic remedy for protection against the effects of too much sun. One dose a week at a 30c potency is usually sufficient. Mulla Mulla (Australian Bush Flower remedy) is known to help with sunburn.
- The best protection is to avoid the midday sun (11am tip 2pm) and use suntan protection cream as needed. Wear a wide brimmed hat and avoid getting burned by the sun or becoming overheated, you can still burn on a cloudy day.
- Belladonna 200c (homeopathic remedy) useful for treating sunstroke.
ESSENTIAL OILS – NATURAL REPELENTS
- A natural insect repellent such as Citronella is recommended, or you can make your own, see below.
- Aim to avoid insect’s bites by covering up from dusk onwards when mosquitoes are most likely to be active. Wear long sleeves, trousers and socks, use insect repellent.
- Eat lots of garlic (raw if possible). Mozzies hate the smell!
- Take 50mg vitamin B1 morning and evening while at risk from bits (less for children).
- Ideally take B complex supplement or Proargi9 (ask for details on Proargi or multi-vitamins at cost price)
- Wear light clothing rather than dark to keep mosquitoes away.
- Avoid sweet smelling perfumes and aftershave, they attract bugs.
- Avoid areas of stagnant water.
- Essential Oils – Citronella, Lemon, Cinnamon, Rosemary, Eucalyptus, clove, veti ver, peppermint, tea tree oil, lavender, cedar (cedar oil you can buy in a spray bottle, available in pet stores).
- You can also add the essential oil to your shampoo or soap product to counteract the perfumes.
Combine rubbing alcohol (or witch hazel, vodka or olive oil) with essential oils (about 10 parts to 1, alcohol to oil ratio) Shake well before each use.
Insect Repellent Lotion
Use 2oz of distilled water, 2oz olive oil, 120 drops of essential oil. Put water into a deep mixing bowl, begin beating quickly while slowly drizzling in the olive oil. After oil is mixed in, add the essential oils of your choice. (Citronella the most effective insect repellent used).
Natural Mosquito Repellent
3 parts Lemongrass or citronella, 1 part thyme, 2 parts lavender, 1 part peppermint or eucalyptus
Mix together in spray bottle, can dilute with spring water or sweet almond oil. Safe to use around children and pets. Shake the mixture well before sue.
- 15mg Garlic capsule or 3 x 5mg capsules Every day.
- Vit B1 300mg 1 x per day week prior to travel and during holiday
- Qing Hao, Artemisia annuae, Chinese wormwood – take as directed 1 week prior to travel, duration of the holiday and 1 week after arriving home.
- Garlic and Ginger capsules every day whilst away.
- Proargi-9+ contains a multitude of nutritients includes B supplements which are great to help against insect bites.
Homeopathic remedies and Travel Kits are available from me, or give me a call if you’re confused as to which nutritional boosters suit your needs for travel. Give me a call on 07942 868118 or send an email via the contact form
Safe and happy holidays
Love Catriona x
Ps. Join my Facebook page for daily tips https://www.facebook.com/vitalremedy/
For Hormone tips and menopause tips https://www.facebook.com/thehormonefairy
All material is for your information only and should not be construed as medical advice or instruction. Readers should always consult with an appropriately trained health practitioner or their GP in any matters relating to their health and wellbeing
I’m Catriona Armor founder of Vital Remedy & The Hormone Fairy Programme, a registered Homeopath & Health Coach, Reiki and Crystal Practitioner, practicing in the Milton Keynes, Leighton Buzzard, Bedford and Aylesbury area, and across the UK via Skype.
My passion is helping and inspiring others, in particular women, to make the changes they need to feel healthier, more grounded, excited and confident about their lives. I specialise in Hormonal health, Pregnancy, Menopause, Anxiety & Depression.
If you’ve been struggling with your health and wellbeing and feel that now is the perfect time for you to make some changes then I would love to help you!
Let me show you the secret method for inviting health and healing into your life! To find how to work with me then please fill out the contact page on my website or send me a text now 07942 868118.